Coconut and Red Lentil Soup
1 1/2 TBS cumin seeds
1 TBS coriander seeds
1/2 TBS Black Pepper
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 Small Onion – diced
1 1/2 cups red lentils
4 to 5 cups vegetable stock (or water)
One 12-ounce can coconut milk
2 TBS minced or grated (not zested) fresh ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 TBS lemon zest (1 lemon rind)
2 lemons, juiced (or 5 TBS bottled lemon juice)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
Avocado, diced (optional)
Garnish with parsley.
- Toast cumin and coriander seeds in dry soup pot on medium heat for 2 minutes until you smell the robust aroma. (this process releases the full flavor of the spice)
- Add the olive oil, onion, pepper. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add the next 6 ingredients
- Put on low heat, stir well, and cover. Allow to cook for about 30-35 minutes, striding occasionally, until the lentils have “melted”, meaning that they have lost their round shape and have softened. You may need to add more water to get the desired thickness.
- When soup is done, add the lemon zest, lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Remove from heat and serve with diced avocado if using, and cilantro leaves. FROM: “Crazy Sext Kitchen.”