Many of my clients as well as myself follow Dr. Mark Hyman — he is one of my sources for up to date health and wellness info.
He sent an interesting newsletter this week. He states;
“Our biology is designed to function in very particular ways. The fact that 93 percent of Americans are metabolically unhealthy and suffering from some degree of pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes (which is at the root of rapid aging and heart disease, cancer, and dementia) is largely due to the burden of exposing ourselves to too many things our bodies were never meant to handle.”
🥺 93 PERCENT!!!!
I have to admit — I think that number is too high. In fact, I emailed him to get clarification. We’ll see if I get a response.
In this newsletter he,explains that we need to eliminate or reduce certain things to create health. I agree! However — I know that when we eliminate anything — we tend to want it and consume it more.
That’s why in my health coaching programs we don’t eliminate — instead we “CROWD OUT” the not so good stuff. This is how participants get the results (and lasting results) they want.
Here’s what we want to crowd out:
- Our modern, ultra-processed diet loaded with sugar, flour, and unhealthy oils
- Environmental toxins
- Gut-damaging medication, including unnecessary and over-prescribed antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and acid blockers
- Allergens and food sensitivities
- Excessive caffeine and alcohol
- Chronic stressors of modern life (both physical and psychological)
- Social isolation and loneliness
And, here’s what want to make these crowd outs happen:
- Whole, real, unprocessed foods
- Sustainably farmed, grass-fed, pasture-raised meats and eggs
- Wild-caught, cold-water fatty fish
- Plant based meals and healthy snacks
- Phytonutrients and micronutrients (e.g., vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, B vitamins)
- Adequate and ideal light exposure at the right times of day
- Optimal hydration
- Non-Toxic clean skin and home care products
- Exercise and movement
- Sleep and healthy circadian rhythms
- Community, love, and belonging
- Meaning and purpose
- Mediation and Mindfulness
Life doesn’t always go our way to make these crowd outs easy! That’s why we all need a health coach and our “power posse” — healthy like-minded people who encourage and lift us up so we live our healthiest life!
To our health and beauty and living simple!